Sunday, November 20, 2011

Misery Loves Company (Revisited)

Princess Leia: Are you crazy? You're not actually going IN to an asteroid field.
Han Solo: They'd be crazy to follow us.
C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field in approximately 3,720 to 1
Han Solo: Never tell me the odds.

Although the season has essentially wrapped up (I still hold out hope for the occasional Indian Summer or two before December) I promise you loyal fan(s) that I will keep the blogs coming fastly and furiously. You see, it turns out that there's a whole bunch of stuff that I left out over the past few months. Stuff that I just couldn't get to in the time that I've allotted myself. So rest assured that despite the off-season, I have PLENTY to say about this wonderful game that we all know and love.***

***Please note: Sarcasm may not translate in written form.

You know, Facebook is an interesting thing. Because of it, I've connected with people who I could not have possibly connected with. One of whom is a guy I went to high school with. Let's call him David...Rosenberger. (Anonymity is for wusses.) A little while ago, our schedules lined up and we were able to play a round of golf together.

I also need to mention that David had a shiny new Iphone. (Jealous and not eligible for an upgrade until February...But I'm not bitter.) And on this shiny new Iphone was a lovely app that allows you to track your golf score very easily.

Well it just so happened that around this time, I was going through yet another epiphany. (I think it was my 87th of the year.) This one was, "I don't have to worry about the score. I just need to focus on one shot at a time. I won't even look at my scorecard until the end of the round." And it was working out for me. Until...

After the 13th hole, David looks at his shiny new Iphone app and says, "If we stopped now, you'd be shooting par."

Translation: I had shot a 70 after 13 holes.

Uh-oh. Here comes the thought spiral. It went a little something like this, "So I'm at 70, that means that I have 5 holes to play and 25 shots to reach my goal. If I just score and average of 5 shots on each hole then I'll reach my goal easily."

Well, needless to say that didn't happen. And it was totally his fault. I'm mean clearly that was the day that I would just suddenly be awesome at golf. But because I was told the score, I was immediately condemned to eternal mediocrity.

But let's not dwell on David's betrayal. Let's focus on some positives. For instance, I actually had a nice time playing with him. Typically, I go by myself and am usually paired with a random playing partner. Sometimes it works out, most of the time it's someone who annoys me in some way.

But this time was nice. We were having a nice chat the entire time. We talked about golf...we talked about life. And I have to say that it made a difference. Not in my score of course, but in the general vibe and experience of being out there. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be less of a lone wolf and run with the pack once in a while.

Epilogue:

Not that we were competing but I shot a 103 and he shot a 102. However, he may have taken a Mulligan or 2 or 7 sooooo....I'm just saying.





No comments:

Post a Comment