Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Importance of Having Swagger

"I'm the pinnacle, that means I reign supreme
And I'm notorious, I'll crush you like a jellybean
I'm bad."
-LL Cool J

Not surprisingly, I am a huge basketball fan. And when I was a wee little lad, I was always excited to watch the Los Angeles Lakers play. I especially idolized Magic Johnson.

Magic Johnson was not only an incredibly versatile and highly skilled basketball player, but he also managed to add a tremendous amount of excitment and flair to the game. He had a dazzling array of spin moves, behind-the-back passes, and fake-outs that often left a hapless defender completely bewildered.

But one of his patented moves that always stuck out in my mind was the infamous "No Look Pass." I don't know if he invented it, but he certainly claimed it as his own. I also remember doing my best to emulate this move at various opportunities on the basketball court. (Many times, without success and much to the chagrin of my teammates.)

While it does take a tremendous amount of skill to throw a basketball at a moving target without actually looking at the target, it also takes enormous "Cajones" to even think that you can pull it off.

Interestingly enough, I've found that a "No Look Pass," while potentially hazardous on a basketball court, is absolutely essential for a golf swing. Hear me out: It's fairly common knowledge that you are supposed to keep your head down during a golf swing. But many times, a golfer with lift his/her head in order to see where the ball is going. And that's bad.

However, it you step up to that golf ball with a little bit of attitude and swagger, you'll say to yourself, "I'm so good, I don't NEED to see where the ball is going. I KNOW where the ball is going."**

**Please note: Flashing gang signs while making the aformentioned statement is completely optional.

The moral is, you have to know where you're going and you have to trust that you can get there. You have to step up without fear. Otherwise, you lose your balls.

(See what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment