Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hallelujah!

"Look at what's happened to me.
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world
Should've been somebody else.
Believe it or not, I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not, it's just me."
-Theme song from Greatest American Hero

So, I'll just cut to the chase on this one.  My last round of golf I shot a freaking 93!

A 93!

93!

Why aren't you excited?!

I'll explain further.

For those of you who don't know, for the past 10 years or so, I haven't been able to shoot lower than 100.  And in golf, lower = good.

Yes my friends, the planets aligned and I was finally able to put together a round of golf that even the golf gods couldn't deny was praiseworthy.  A round of golf that allowed me to walk with my head held high.  Only this time, it was with actual pride in my performance as opposed to the, "Holding my head up high despite the fact that I'm incredibly ashamed of yet another failure."

Yeah...I like the first one better.

So how did I do it?  How did I conquer this beast that is the triple digit score?

Well, I can tell you the most recent adjustment I made:  The night before, I logged on to ye olde You Tube to look at some videos of golf swings.  I realized that I was standing a little too close to the ball and that I was holding my hands a little too high.  As a result, my swing plane was way too steep which caused inconsistencies in my...(HEY!! WAKE UP!!)

But here's the reality of it.  At the end of the day, it wasn't just one adjustment that made the difference.  It was hundreds of tiny little adjustments over the years.  It's the hundreds more than I will continue to make to get better.  It's the result of the hard work and dedication that I put into it.  It's about the fact that I never gave up on it.

Yay me!

The good news for you dear readers is that after I took my victory lap, I promptly examined my scorecard in order to deconstruct the round I played and found the spots where I could have scored even lower.  So yes, there will still be plenty of things for me to be comically frustrated about.

It never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment