Sunday, October 23, 2011

R.I.P. Lucky Golf Ball

"He was my friend. Faithful and just to me. But Brutus says he was ambitious. And Brutus is an honorable man."
-Mark Antony, Julius Caeser

My apologies for slacking on the blog posts. Two weeks ago was my first wedding anniversary. I'm sure you can all understand taking that week off from blogging.

Last week, I was simply too busy playing Fruit Ninja. That game is sick.

OK, moving on.

So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make a MASSIVE attitude change to my golf game. As you may recall, I have given up on the idea of using the driver (Re: The Driver is Not My Friend.) In brief, a big club plus a hard swing = ball go "Bye Bye." I decided to take this approach to the next level by slowing my swing down even further. Down to a 90 year old man pace. And when you're 6'7" tall, about 225 pounds, and swinging the club that slowly, your manhood will be questioned.

But I found my inner peace and stuck to the game plan for the entire round. The bad news was, my score didn't really improve. The good news was, I didn't lose a single golf ball.

Hooray accomplishments!

But as you can tell by the title of the blog post, it was a short-lived celebration.

The following week, I lost that lucky golf ball on the 13th hole. But here's the kicker: My thought right before I lost that ball was, "I can't believe I haven't lost this golf ball. If I keep this up, I will do really well today."

The real question is, WHY DO I SAY OR THINK ANYTHING, EVER?

Of course, I immediately dumped that tee shot into the pond. I then went on to the 14th hole and dumped THAT tee shot somewhere in the Merry Old Land of Oz.

But rather than beat myself up any further, let's take a moment to reflect on the good times that we had together. It was a Pinnacle Gold. I actually found it on the golf course a couple of weeks before. Lost and alone. Abandoned by another golfer who was probably as bad as I am. He was a good friend and he will be missed.

Now I know why Tom Hanks was so upset about that volleyball in Castaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment