Monday, May 23, 2011

In Retrospect, It's Not Really My Fault

"Golf is not a game, it's bondage. It was obviously devised by a man torn with
guilt,eager to atone for his sins."
Jim Murray

The incessant downpour that has plagued New York over the past week and a half has given me time to reflect on my first round of golf of the season. And after careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that I'm awesome and that it's the golf course that sucks.

Allow me to explain. I almost always play at Van Cortlandt golf course located in the Bronx. This is mainly because I don't have a car and it's the closest course to my place that I can get to via public transportation. Actually, it's a lovely course in general. Here's a little snapshot of the 12th hole:


But the fatal flaw with this course is that there is no practice area. There's no driving range. There's no practice green. Actually, they recently installed a putting green right next to the 1st tee but it seems like you're never allowed to use it. It does look pretty though.

My point being, I think it's only natural that I'm going to get off to a difficult start on that course if I have absolutely no way to warm up. I'm mean it's a hard enough game as it is. Can't you cut me a break and give me a chance to work out the crappy shots before I start my round? (OK, some of my crappy shots.)

It's only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment