Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Pre-season

Welcome.

I decided to create this blog to document (rant about) my experiences playing golf. I've been playing for about 10 years now and have shown very little improvement. I've taken a couple of lessons here and there from a coach or two, but I'm basically self-taught. Why don't I just take more lessons? Because that time could be better spent being out on the course feeling frustrated, angry, and confused. Oh, and having fun.

This year, for the first time ever, I've decided to actually practice during the off-season. It's a little chilly here in New York City so I can't go out an play. But after 10 years it finally dawned on me that I might get better if I practiced first.

I will dedicate this first post to one phenomenon that I have encountered at the driving range that makes me want to smash my clubs, pluck out every hair on my head, and run screaming onto the range hoping that some random golf ball will end this torment. This phenomenon that I am referring to is the fact that, as I hit more golf balls, I tend to get worse as the day goes on.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Shouldn't I get better as the day progresses? Shouldn't I be making (what do you call that thing?) PROGRESS?! I mean it truly is horrible. I actually started out hitting the ball well. Really well. I started thinking, "Hey, maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this game."

But then the Golf Gods exacted their vengeance. (Yes, I truly believe in Golf Gods) I probably didn't hit another good shot for about an hour. And the more I tried to correct, the worse it got. I hit the ball left, make a correction, then slice it for 10 minutes. I slice it, make a correction, hit the ball left. I feel like the golf swing is like trying to thread a needle at 50 mph. Very little room for error.

True story: I'm having a root canal today and I'm thinking of going to the range again afterwards. That way, I can experience something even more painful than a root canal and thus take my mind off it while I recover.

Sounds like a plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment